Re: dma_declare_coherent_memory and SuperH

From: Rob Landley
Date: Mon Jun 28 2021 - 15:30:12 EST

> On Mon, Jun 28, 2021 at 09:29:59AM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
> >> Your plan is to eliminate the ability for non-device-tree boards to do DMA?
>
>> > No.
>
>> Which part of this exchange have I misunderstood?
>
> The part that there is no easy way out without the device tree
> conversion.

Interesting use of the word "No".

I didn't ask for easy, I asked what needed to be done. What is the patch you
want to apply to kernel/dma so I can see what infrastructure needs to be moved
into arch/sh so it's our problem and not yours.

If a wrapper function has to fake up a temporary device tree snippet to lie to
new DMA infrastructure that refuses to export non-systemd APIs to handle this,
fine. It's still less intrusive than converting EVERY device to a new API on
boards I can't easily regression test. (And hey, if you squint that would be a
little like a partial incremental device tree conversion.)

Rob