Re: [RFD] DTPM hierarchy description via DT

From: Rob Herring
Date: Fri Jul 02 2021 - 12:52:12 EST

On Fri, Jul 2, 2021 at 7:51 AM Daniel Lezcano <daniel.lezcano@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> recently a new framework based on top of the powercap framework was
> introduced to limit the power of some devices when they are capable of
> that. Based on the approximate power numbers from the energy model, it
> allows to have a rough estimation of the power consumption and set the
> power limit [1].
>
> This framework describes via a hierarchy the constraints relationship
> between all those devices and it is SoC specific.
>
> The problem is how to describe this hierarchy.
>
> The hierarchy could be like:
>
> soc
>

> |-- package
>

> | |

> | |-- cluster0
>

> | | |

> | | |-- cpu0
>

> | | |

> | | |-- cpu1
>

> | | |

> | | |-- cpu2
>

> | | |

> | | `-- cpu3
>

> | |

> | |-- cluster1
>

> | | |

> | | |-- cpu4
>

> | | |

> | | `-- cpu5

We already have all this with cpu topology binding which feeds cpu
topology functionality in the kernel. Is there a case for the
powerzone hierarchy to be different? For CPUs, I don't see why we'd
need anything else or perhaps just a new property in cpu nodes for
something?

For other devices, is there a need for a hierarchy or just grouping?

> | |

> | `-- gpu
>

> |-- memory
>

> | |

> | |-- bank0
>

> | |

> | `-- bank1
>

> |-- multimedia
>

> | |

> | |-- camera
>

> | |

> | `-- dsp
>

> |-- modem
>

> `-- screen
>

> We are far from this description yet but it is for illustration purpose.
>
> All the nodes of the tree do not necessarily reflect real devices, for
> example, 'package' or 'multimedia' are not described in the DT.
>
> What we want is to build this hierarchy which is SoC dependent.
>
> A first proposal was made to create those nodes in configfs but because
> it results in creating a node in sysfs also the approach is not valid [2]
>
> It was suggested to use the devicetree to describe such hierarchy. There
> are several possibilities but the nodes not describing real hardware
> above is difficult to describe. Also, the hierarchy should not be over
> complexified.

I'm very leary of yet another CPU PM related binding. We already have
topology, idle states, OPP, ...

There's less on the device side, but it's more fragmented with each
vendor doing their own thing.