Re: [bpf-next 3/3] bpf: Fix a use after free in bpf_check()

From: He Fengqing
Date: Sun Jul 11 2021 - 22:42:35 EST

在 2021/7/9 23:12, Alexei Starovoitov 写道:
On Fri, Jul 9, 2021 at 4:11 AM He Fengqing <hefengqing@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

在 2021/7/8 11:09, Alexei Starovoitov 写道:
On Wed, Jul 7, 2021 at 8:00 PM He Fengqing <hefengqing@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ok, I will change this in next version.

before you spam the list with the next version
please explain why any of these changes are needed?
I don't see an explanation in the patches and I don't see a bug in the code.
Did you check what is the prog clone ?
When is it constructed? Why verifier has anything to do with it?
.

I'm sorry, I didn't describe these errors clearly.

bpf_check(bpf_verifier_env)

|->do_misc_fixups(env)
| |
| |->bpf_patch_insn_data(env)
| | |
| | |->bpf_patch_insn_single(env->prog)
| | | |
| | | |->bpf_prog_realloc(env->prog)
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | |
| | | |->return new_prog;
| | |
| | |->adjust_insn_aux_data
| | | |
| | | |->return ENOMEM;
| | |
| | |->return NULL;
| |
| |->return ENOMEM;

bpf_verifier_env->prog had been freed in bpf_prog_realloc function.

There are two errors here, the first is memleak in the
bpf_patch_insn_data function, and the second is use after free in the
bpf_check function.

memleak in bpf_patch_insn_data:

Look at the call chain above, if adjust_insn_aux_data function return
ENOMEM, bpf_patch_insn_data will return NULL, but we do not free the
new_prog.

So in the patch 2, before bpf_patch_insn_data return NULL, we free the
new_prog.

use after free in bpf_check:

If bpf_patch_insn_data function return NULL, we will not assign new_prog
to the bpf_verifier_env->prog, but bpf_verifier_env->prog has been freed
in the bpf_prog_realloc function. Then in bpf_check function, we will
use bpf_verifier_env->prog after do_misc_fixups function.

In the patch 3, I added a free_old parameter to bpf_prog_realloc, in
this scenario we don't free old_prog. Instead, we free it in the
do_misc_fixups function when bpf_patch_insn_data return a valid new_prog.

Thanks for explaining.
Why not to make adjust_insn_aux_data() in bpf_patch_insn_data() first then?
Just changing the order will resolve both issues, no?
.

adjust_insn_aux_data() need the new constructed new_prog as an input parameter, so we must call bpf_patch_insn_single() before adjust_insn_aux_data().

But we can make adjust_insn_aux_data() never return ENOMEM. In bpf_patch_insn_data(), first we pre-malloc memory for new aux_data, then call bpf_patch_insn_single() to constructed the new_prog, at last call adjust_insn_aux_data() functin. In this way, adjust_insn_aux_data() never fails.

bpf_patch_insn_data(env) {
struct bpf_insn_aux_data *new_data = vzalloc();
struct bpf_prog *new_prog;
if (new_data == NULL)
return NULL;

new_prog = bpf_patch_insn_single(env->prog);
if (new_prog == NULL) {
vfree(new_data);
return NULL;
}

adjust_insn_aux_data(new_prog, new_data);
return new_prog;
}
What do you think about it?