Re: [patch 3/5] mm: vmstat: optionally flush per-CPU vmstat counters on return to userspace

From: Christoph Lameter
Date: Mon Jul 12 2021 - 05:09:18 EST

On Fri, 9 Jul 2021, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

> +
> + if (!static_branch_unlikely(&vmstat_sync_enabled))
> + return;
> +
> + cpu = smp_processor_id();
> +
> + if (housekeeping_cpu(cpu, HK_FLAG_QUIESCE_URET))
> + return;
> +
> + per_cpu(vmstat_dirty, smp_processor_id()) = true;
> +}

And you are going to insert this into all the performance critical VM
statistics handling. Inline?

And why do you need to do such things as to determine the processor? At
mininum do this using this cpu operations like the vmstat functions
currently do. And, lucky us, now we also have
more issues why we should disable preemption etc etc while handling vm
counters.