5.13.2-rc and others have many not for stable

From: Hugh Dickins
Date: Tue Jul 13 2021 - 01:55:31 EST

On Mon, 12 Jul 2021, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:

> This is the start of the stable review cycle for the 5.13.2 release.
> There are 800 patches in this series, all will be posted as a response
> to this one. If anyone has any issues with these being applied, please
> let me know.

> Anything received after that time might be too late.
>
> The whole patch series can be found in one patch at:
> https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v5.x/stable-review/patch-5.13.2-rc1.gz
> or in the git tree and branch at:
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable-rc.git linux-5.13.y
> and the diffstat can be found below.
>
> thanks,
>
> greg k-h
>
> -------------
> Pseudo-Shortlog of commits:
>
> Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Linux 5.13.2-rc1

Hi Greg,

Sorry to be making waves, but please, what's up with the 5.13.2-rc,
5.12.17-rc, 5.10.50-rc, 5.4.132-rc stable release candidates?

Amongst the 2000+ patches posted today, there are a significant number
of them Signed-off-by Andrew, Signed-off-by Linus, Signed-off-by Sasha:
yet never Cc'ed to stable (nor even posted as AUTOSELs, I think).

Am I out of date? I thought that had been agreed not to happen:
https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mm/20190808000533.7701-1-mike.kravetz@xxxxxxxxxx/
is the thread I found when I looked for confirmation, but I believe the
same has been agreed before and since too.

Andrew goes to a lot of trouble to establish which Fixes from his tree
ought to go to stable. Of course there will be exceptions which we
later decide should go in after all; but it's worrying when there's a
wholesale breach like this, and I think most of them should be dropped.

To pick on just one of many examples (sorry Miaohe!), a patch that
surprises me, but I've not had time to look into so far, and would
not want accelerated into X stable releases, 385/800

> Miaohe Lin <linmiaohe@xxxxxxxxxx>
> mm/shmem: fix shmem_swapin() race with swapoff

Hugh