Re: [syzbot] KASAN: use-after-free Read in r871xu_dev_remove

From: Pavel Skripkin
Date: Tue Jul 13 2021 - 05:19:17 EST

On Tue, 13 Jul 2021 17:04:28 +0800
Dongliang Mu <mudongliangabcd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 4:55 PM Pavel Skripkin <paskripkin@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 12 Jul 2021 20:14:24 -0700
> > syzbot <syzbot+5872a520e0ce0a7c7230@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > syzbot found the following issue on:
> > >
> > > HEAD commit: 92510a7f Add linux-next specific files for
> > > 20210709 git tree: linux-next
> > > console output:
> > > https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/log.txt?x=16c50180300000 kernel
> > > config:
> > > https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/.config?x=505de2716f052686
> > > dashboard link:
> > > https://syzkaller.appspot.com/bug?extid=5872a520e0ce0a7c7230 syz
> > > repro: https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/repro.syz?x=1639a73c300000
> > > C reproducer:
> > > https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/repro.c?x=15fcd5e4300000
> > >
> > > IMPORTANT: if you fix the issue, please add the following tag to
> > > the commit: Reported-by:
> > > syzbot+5872a520e0ce0a7c7230@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > >

> > Hmm, bisection is wrong this time. It should be
> > e02a3b945816 ("staging: rtl8712: fix memory leak in
> > rtl871x_load_fw_cb")
>
> Hi Paval,

^^^^^
Pavel :)

> can you share more details about why the patch e02a3b945816 causes
> this UAF problem?

I am not sure, but I think, that free_netdev() call rigth after
complete() can cause use-after-free bug in wait_for_completion() since
rtl8712_fw_ready is allocated as netdev private data.

I guess, schedule() call after complete() can help here.

BTW, I send wrong patch in previous email: typo in schedule() :)

#syz test:
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git master