Re: flush_kernel_dcache_page fixes and removal

From: Russell King (Oracle)
Date: Mon Jul 19 2021 - 13:23:19 EST

On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 01:38:51PM +0800, Herbert Xu wrote:
> Russell King Oracle <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > I think you need to be careful - I seem to have a recollection that the
> > reason we ended up with flush_kernel_dcache_page() was the need to avoid
> > the taking of the mmap lock for 32-bit ARM VIVT based CPUs in
> > flush_dcache_page(). 32-bit ARM flush_dcache_page() can block.
> >
> > If you're sure that all these changes you're making do not end up
> > calling flush_dcache_page() from a path where we are atomic, then fine.
>
> The Crypto API has been calling flush_dcache_page from softirq
> context since before the advent of git (see crypto/scatterwalk.c
> from the initial import). So if 32-bit ARM blocks on it then this
> has been broken for almost 20 years.

I think what's confusing me is the naming of flush_dcache_mmap_lock().
The mmap lock is a read-write semaphore (see linux/mmap-lock.h), and
is even called "mmap_lock" in mm_struct, but this has nothing to do
with flush_dcache_mmap_lock().

So no, flush_dcache_mmap_lock() doesn't block as I first thought, and
therefore flush_dcache_page() doesn't block either.

Sorry for the noise.

However, I now seem to remember some discussion in the past when I was
trying to get people to use flush_dcache_page() to solve the coherency
problems when block drivers were doing PIO to page cache pages. I seem
to remember there being objections to it, which is one of the reasons
we ended up with a lighter weight flush_kernel_dcache_page(). But
shrug, dim and distant memories.

FTTP is here! 40Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!