Re: [Patch v4 0/3] Introduce a driver to support host accelerated access to Microsoft Azure Blob

From: Bart Van Assche
Date: Tue Jul 20 2021 - 00:42:45 EST

On 7/19/21 8:31 PM, longli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> From: Long Li <longli@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Microsoft Azure Blob storage service exposes a REST API to applications
> for data access.
> (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/storageservices/blob-service-rest-api)
>
> This patchset implements a VSC (Virtualization Service Consumer) that
> communicates with a VSP (Virtualization Service Provider) on the Hyper-V
> host to execute Blob storage access via native network stack on the host.
> This VSC doesn't implement the semantics of REST API. Those are implemented
> in user-space. The VSC provides a fast data path to VSP.
>
> Answers to some previous questions discussing the driver:
>
> Q: Why this driver doesn't use the block layer
>
> A: The Azure Blob is based on a model of object oriented storage. The
> storage object is not modeled in block sectors. While it's possible to
> present the storage object as a block device (assuming it makes sense to
> fake all the block device attributes), we lose the ability to express
> functionality that are defined in the REST API.
>
> Q: You just lost all use of caching and io_uring and loads of other kernel
> infrastructure that has been developed and relied on for decades?
>
> A: The REST API is not designed to have caching at system level. This
> driver doesn't attempt to improve on this. There are discussions on
> supporting ioctl() on io_uring (https://lwn.net/Articles/844875/), that
> will benefit this driver. The block I/O scheduling is not helpful in this
> case, as the Blob application and Blob storage server have complete
> knowledge on the I/O pattern based on storage object type. This knowledge
> doesn't get easily consumed by the block layer.
>
> Q: You also just abandoned the POSIX model and forced people to use a
> random-custom-library just to access their storage devices, breaking all
> existing programs in the world?
>
> A: The existing Blob applications access storage via HTTP (REST API). They
> don't use POSIX interface. The interface for Azure Blob is not designed
> on POSIX.
>
> Q: What programs today use this new API?
>
> A: Currently none is released. But per above, there are also none using
> POSIX.
>
> Q: Where is the API published and what ensures that it will remain stable?
>
> A: Cloud based REST protocols have similar considerations to the kernel in
> terms of interface stability. Applications depend on cloud services via
> REST in much the same way as they depend on kernel services. Because
> applications can consume cloud APIs over the Internet, there is no
> opportunity to recompile applications to ensure compatibility. This causes
> the underlying APIs to be exceptionally stable, and Azure Blob has not
> removed support for an exposed API to date. This driver is supporting a
> pass-through model where requests in a guest process can be reflected to a
> VM host environment. Like the current REST interface, the goal is to ensure
> [...]

Another question is why do we need this in the kernel? Has it been
considered to provide a driver similar to vfio on top of the Hyper-V bus
such that this object storage driver can be implemented as a user-space
library instead of as a kernel driver? As you may know vfio users can
either use eventfds for completion notifications or polling. An
interface like io_uring can be built easily on top of vfio.

Thanks,

Bart.