Re: linux-next: build warning after merge of the printk tree

From: Chris Down
Date: Tue Jul 20 2021 - 08:24:43 EST

Chris Down writes:
+Cc: Jonathan Corbet <corbet@xxxxxxx>, linux-doc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Well, let's actually Cc them this time...

Stephen Rothwell writes:
After merging the printk tree, today's linux-next build (htmldocs)
produced this warning:

kernel/printk/printk.c:1: warning: 'printk' not found

Introduced by commit

337015573718 ("printk: Userspace format indexing support")

I presume that "printk" is referred to elsewhere in the documentation
as being in this file.

Hmm, this is an interesting one, because I think we still generally just want to refer to the API as being `printk()`. Changing it all over the place seems wrong. As you'd imagine, there are quite a few references to this name, so it requires a lot of noise all over the docs and inline comments.

Jonathan and other docs folks, how can one tell Sphinx that when it sees printk() it's referring to a function-like macro, or otherwise squelch this reasonably? :-)