Re: [PULL] Add variants of devm_clk_get for prepared and enabled clocks enabled clocks

From: Claudiu.Beznea
Date: Mon Jul 26 2021 - 05:18:23 EST

On 23.07.2021 12:13, Uwe Kleine-König wrote:
> [...]
> <linux-clk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "linux-arm-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
> <linux-arm-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Linus Torvalds
> <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>

> Hello,
>
> [adding Linus and lkml to Cc: and adding some more context]
>
> On Wed, Jun 09, 2021 at 10:21:23PM +0200, Uwe Kleine-König wrote:
>> given that I don't succeed in getting any feedback for my patch set, I'm
>> trying with a pull request today.
> This is for a series that is currently in v7 and didn't get any feedback
> at all yet. The history is:
>
> v1: 2020-10-13, https://lore.kernel.org/linux-clk/20201013082132.661993-1-u.kleine-koenig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> no feedback at all
>
> v2: 2021-03-01, https://lore.kernel.org/linux-clk/20210301110821.1445756-1-uwe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> kernel test robot identified some issues
>
> v3: 2021-03-01, https://lore.kernel.org/linux-clk/20210301135053.1462168-1-u.kleine-koenig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I added a few driver patches to show the benefit. (However in a way
> that the autobuilders don't understand, so there were some false
> positive build failure reports.)
>
> v4: 2021-03-30, https://lore.kernel.org/linux-clk/20210330181755.204339-1-u.kleine-koenig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Got some feedback for the converted drivers by the respective
> maintainers. Some were indifferent, some found it good
>
> v5: 2021-04-22, https://lore.kernel.org/linux-clk/20210422065726.1646742-1-u.kleine-koenig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Fixed a problem in one of the driver changes (i2c-imx), no feedback
> apart from pointing out a few typos, silence from the clk
> maintainers
>
> v6: 2021-04-26, https://lore.kernel.org/linux-clk/20210426141730.2826832-1-u.kleine-koenig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Just the typos fixed, no feedback
>
> v6 resend: 2021-05-10, https://lore.kernel.org/linux-clk/20210510061724.940447-1-u.kleine-koenig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> no changes in code. Got some feedback from Jonathan Cameron
>
> v7: 2021-05-10, https://lore.kernel.org/linux-clk/20210510174142.986250-1-u.kleine-koenig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Adress Jonathan's feedback, recieved some more acks from non-clk
> people
>
> pull request: 2021-07-09, https://lore.kernel.org/linux-clk/20210609202123.u5rmw7al4x3rrvun@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>>> Wow, okay, that is frustrating.
>> The situation simply shows the process gap and One Maintainer nowadays is
>> far from enough to satisfy demands.
> Technically there are two maintainers for drivers/clk, Michael Turquette
> and Stephen Boyd. It seems Michael is MIA and Stephen doesn't have the
> capacity to address all requests.
>
>> What I think about is that we need to escalate this to Linus and
>> others and elaborate the mechanisms how to squeeze a new (additional)
>> maintainer when the original one is not responsive. Let’s say some
>> procedural steps. Otherwise we doomed because of human factor.
> Assuming there was some process for this, is there someone who is

Hi,

In the last year I worked on AT91 clock drivers and I would be available
for taking responsibility beyond AT91 clocks (if everyone's OK with this),
in whatever form the current maintainers and people in the audience would
agree, if any (co-maintainer or other forms that could be useful). The idea
is to help things progress as I also have patches waiting for feedback on
clock mailing list for almost 6 months.

Let me know if I can be helpful.

Thank you,
Claudiu Beznea