Re: [BUG] mwifiex: possible null-pointer dereference in mwifiex_dnld_cmd_to_fw()

From: Brian Norris
Date: Mon Aug 02 2021 - 16:45:00 EST

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 30, 2021 at 9:13 PM Li Tuo <islituo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Our static analysis tool finds a possible null-pointer dereference in
> the mwifiex driver in Linux 5.14.0-rc3:

Wouldn't be the first time a static analysis tool tripped up over
excessively redundant "safety" checks :)

For example:
https://lore.kernel.org/linux-wireless/20210731163546.10753-1-len.baker@xxxxxxx/T/#u

> The variable cmd_node->cmd_skb->data is assigned to the variable
> host_cmd, and host_cmd is checked in:
> 190: if (host_cmd == NULL || host_cmd->size == 0)
>
> This indicates that host_cmd can be NULL.
> If so, the function mwifiex_recycle_cmd_node() will be called with the
> argument cmd_node:
> 196: mwifiex_recycle_cmd_node(adapter, cmd_node);
>
> In this called function, the variable cmd_node->cmd_skb->data is
> assigned to the variable host_cmd, too.
> Thus the variable host_cmd in the function mwifiex_recycle_cmd_node()
> can be also NULL.
> However, it is dereferenced when calling le16_to_cpu():
> 144: le16_to_cpu(host_cmd->command)
>
> I am not quite sure whether this possible null-pointer dereference is
> real and how to fix it if it is real.
> Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks!

I doubt it's real; the NULL check is probably excessive. I don't think
there's any case in which such skb's will have no ->data. If you're
interested, you could test and submit a "fix" to drop the excess
check.

Brian