Re: Chipidea USB device goes infinite loop due to interrupt while hw_ep_prime

From: Jeaho Hwang
Date: Tue Aug 03 2021 - 22:04:01 EST

Hi. linux-usb and linux-rt experts.

> On 21-08-02 17:35:01, Jeaho Hwang wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > We found an infinite loop inside the function hw_ep_set_halt
> > (drivers/usb/chipidea/udc.c) if a cablle is repeatedly
> > connnected/disconnected while ping through RNDIS with chipidea USB device.
> >
> > Using ftrace tracing, we found that hw_ep_set_halt is called due to error
> > return of hw_ep_prime(drivers/usb/chipidea/udc.c:202) which is called from
> > isr_tr_complete_handler -> isr_setup_status_phase -> _ep_queue.
> >
> > The comment of function hw_ep_prime says (execute without interruption) but
> > timer interrupt is occurred while hw_ep_prime is executing. We believe that
> > the interrupt causes an error return of hw_ep_prime. We tried to protect
> > hw_ep_prime from irqs and then no case of the infinite loop is occurred.
> >
> > I want ask if it is appropriate way that turning off irq inside (threaded)
> > irq handlers. And should we explicitly turn off irqs before calling
> > hw_ep_prime?
> >

> Jeaho, do you use RT-Linux or standard Linux? The function hw_ep_prime is
> only called at udc_irq which is registered as top-half irq handlers.
> Why the timer interrupt is occurred when hw_ep_prime is executing?

We use preempt_RT so timer interrupt could be occurred. Now I found
out that forced threaded irq handler disables local irq on standard
linux so It is a linux-rt issue. Then should I make patch which
disables local irqs during hw_ep_prime for RT kernel and suggest it to
linux-rt maintainers?

Thanks for a kind answer Peter.

--
황재호, Jay Hwang, linux team manager of RTst
010-7242-1593