Re: LKMM: Read dependencies of writes ordered by dma_wmb()?

From: Alan Stern
Date: Mon Aug 16 2021 - 15:21:12 EST

On Mon, Aug 16, 2021 at 07:23:51PM +0200, Marco Elver wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 16, 2021 at 10:59AM -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> [...]
> > > One caveat is the case I'm trying to understand doesn't involve just 2
> > > CPUs but also a device. And for now, I'm assuming that dma_wmb() is as
> > > strong as smp_wmb() also wrt other CPUs (but my guess is this
> > > assumption is already too strong).
> >
> > I'm not sure that is right. dma_wmb affects the visibility of writes to
> > a DMA buffer from the point of view of the device, not necessarily from
> > the point of view of other CPUs. At least, there doesn't seem to be any
> > claim in memory-barriers.txt that it does so.
>
> Thanks, I thought so.
>
> While I could just not instrument dma_*mb() at all, because KCSAN
> obviously can't instrument what devices do, I wonder if the resulting
> reports are at all interesting.
>
> For example, if I do not make the assumption that dma_wmb==smp_smb, and
> don't instrument dma_*mb() at all, I also get racy UAF reordered writes:
> I could imagine some architecture where dma_wmb() propagates the write
> to devices from CPU 0; but CPU 1 then does the kfree(), reallocates,
> reuses the data, but then gets its data overwritten by CPU 0.

Access ordering of devices is difficult to describe. How do you tell a
memory model (either a theoretical one or one embedded in code like
KCSAN) that a particular interrupt handler routine can't be called until
after a particular write has enabled the device to generate an IRQ?

In the case you mention, how do you tell the memory model that the code
on CPU 1 can't run until after CPU 0 has executed a particular write, one
which is forced by some memory barrier to occur _after_ all the potential
overwrites its worried about?

> What would be more useful?
>
> 1. Let the architecture decide how they want KCSAN to instrument non-smp
> barriers, given it's underspecified. This means KCSAN would report
> different races on different architectures, but keep the noise down.
>
> 2. Assume the weakest possible model, where non-smp barriers just do
> nothing wrt other CPUs.

I don't think either of those would work out very well. The problem
isn't how you handle the non-smp barriers; the problem is how you
describe to the memory model the way devices behave.

> > > In practice, my guess is no compiler and architecture combination would
> > > allow this today; or is there an arch where it could?
> >
> > Probably not; reordering of reads tends to take place over time
> > scales a lot shorter than lengthy I/O operations.
>
> Which might be an argument to make KCSAN's non-smp barrier
> instrumentation arch-dependent, because some drivers might in fact be
> written with some target architectures and their properties in mind. At
> least it would help keep the noise down, and those architecture that
> want to see such races certainly still could.
>
> Any preferences?

I'm not a good person to ask; I have never used KCSAN. However...

While some drivers are indeed written for particular architectures or
systems, I doubt that they rely very heavily on the special properties of
their target architectures/systems to avoid races. Rather, they rely on
the hardware to behave correctly, just as non-arch-specific drivers do.

Furthermore, the kernel tries pretty hard to factor out arch-specific
synchronization mechanisms and related concepts into general-purpose
abstractions (in the way that smp_mb() is generally available but is
defined differently for different architectures, for example). Drivers
tend to rely on these abstractions rather than on the arch-specific
properties directly.

In short, trying to make KCSAN's handling of device I/O into something
arch-specific doesn't seem (to me) like a particular advantageous
approach. Other people are likely to have different opinions.

Alan