Re: [syzbot] WARNING in hid_submit_ctrl/usb_submit_urb

From: Alan Stern
Date: Wed Aug 18 2021 - 15:01:29 EST

On Wed, Aug 18, 2021 at 02:14:23AM -0700, syzbot wrote:
> syzbot has found a reproducer for the following issue on:
>
> HEAD commit: 794c7931a242 Merge branch 'linus' of git://git.kernel.org/..
> git tree: upstream

Dmitry:

Why does syzbot persist in reporting useless names like "upstream" for
the git tree being tested? How is anyone supposed to know what that
actually refers to? Why doesn't it put the real name (maybe with
"upstream" in parentheses as an additional comment)?

Furthermore, the last time I tried to submit a test patch with something
like "#syz test: upstream 794c7931a242", it didn't work because syzbot
itself didn't recognize the repository name!

This should already be fixed -- I can't remember when I first reported
the problem but it must have been at least two years ago.

If there isn't already a change request pending for this issue, can you
add one?

Thanks,

Alan Stern