Re: [kbuild] drivers/regulator/bd718x7-regulator.c:531:8: warning: Excessive padding in 'struct bd718xx_regulator_data' (8 padding bytes, where 0 is optimal).

From: kernel test robot
Date: Thu Aug 19 2021 - 10:49:28 EST

Hi,

On 8/19/2021 1:34 PM, Matti Vaittinen wrote:
Hi,

On Thu, Aug 19, 2021 at 6:26 AM kernel test robot <yujie.liu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> drivers/regulator/bd718x7-regulator.c:531:8: warning: Excessive
padding in 'struct bd718xx_regulator_data' (8 padding bytes, where 0 is
optimal).
Optimal fields order:
dvs,
additional_inits,
additional_init_amnt,
init,
desc,
consider reordering the fields or adding explicit padding members
[clang-analyzer-optin.performance.Padding]
struct bd718xx_regulator_data {
~~~~~~~^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
drivers/regulator/bd718x7-regulator.c:531:8: note: Excessive padding
in 'struct bd718xx_regulator_data' (8 padding bytes, where 0 is
optimal). Optimal fields order: dvs, additional_inits,
additional_init_amnt, init, desc, consider reordering the fields or
adding explicit padding members
struct bd718xx_regulator_data {
~~~~~~~^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't have a good feeling about these checks. Especially when a
struct is composed of other structs - which may be modified
independently of the code we are looking at here. Any unrelated
addition of a member to any of the structs (well, maybe not the one at
the bottom). I guess fixing all the users of these structs when
something changes would cause quite a churn of changes... What is
expected to be done as a result from these mails?

Best Regards
-- Matti

Sorry for bothering, we'll ignore struct padding warnings next time.

Best Regards,
Yujie Liu