Re: [git pull] habanalabs pull request for kernel 5.15

From: Dave Airlie
Date: Thu Aug 19 2021 - 14:48:39 EST

On Fri, 20 Aug 2021 at 03:07, Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 19, 2021 at 02:02:09PM +0300, Oded Gabbay wrote:
> > Hi Greg,
> >
> > This is habanalabs pull request for the merge window of kernel 5.15.
> > The commits divide roughly 50/50 between adding new features, such
> > as peer-to-peer support with DMA-BUF or signaling from within a graph,
> > and fixing various bugs, small improvements, etc.
>
> Pulled and pushed out, thanks!

NAK for adding dma-buf or p2p support to this driver in the upstream
kernel. There needs to be a hard line between
"I-can't-believe-its-not-a-drm-driver" drivers which bypass our
userspace requirements, and I consider this the line.

This driver was merged into misc on the grounds it wasn't really a
drm/gpu driver and so didn't have to accept our userspace rules.

Adding dma-buf/p2p support to this driver is showing it really fits
the gpu driver model and should be under the drivers/gpu rules since
what are most GPUs except accelerators.

We are opening a major can of worms (some would say merging habanalabs
driver opened it), but this places us in the situation that if a GPU
vendor just claims their hw is a "vector" accelerator they can use
Greg to bypass all the work that been done to ensure we have
maintainability long term. I don't want drivers in the tree using
dma-buf to interact with other drivers when we don't have access to a
userspace project to validate the kernel driver assumptions.

Dave.