Re: [GIT PULL] Enable -Wimplicit-fallthrough for Clang for 5.14-rc7

From: Nathan Chancellor
Date: Thu Aug 19 2021 - 16:18:01 EST

On 8/19/2021 12:19 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
On Wed, Aug 18, 2021 at 9:02 PM Gustavo A. R. Silva
<gustavoars@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Enable -Wimplicit-fallthrough for Clang for 5.14-rc7

No. Much too late in the release, particularly knowing that we have
Clang pre-releases that claim to be 14.0.0 and get this wrong.

So no way does this happen like this.

That's doubly true since the clang support for this all adds exactly
_zero_ upside, only downside: we made the gcc checks be stricter, and
gcc ends up having (a) more wide coverage and (b) doesn't have the
bugs clang has.

For what it's worth, clang's version of -Wimplicit-fallthrough would have caught the bug in commit 652b44453ea9 ("habanalabs/gaudi: fix missing code in ECC handling"). Yes, small fix in the sea of patches that were needed to address clang's more pedantic version of the warning but this version of the warning is completely in line with the kernel's stance of switch statements in Documentation/process/deprecated.rst:

"All switch/case blocks must end in one of:

* break;
* fallthrough;
* continue;
* goto <label>;
* return [expression];"

Honestly, I think the clang "version 14 or more" check is simply
buggy. We *know* that check fails. Don't do it.

Make it "strictly more than 14.0.0" which hopefully doesn't fail, is
cheap and easy, and which will make clang work correctly in the not
too distant future.

Just to give some more context, Clang is not like GCC where x.0.0 is the development version and x.1.0 is the stable release. The first stable version of clang-14 will be clang 14.0.0 when it is released, just as it is now, so making it "strictly more than 14.0.0" will just delay enabling this even more despite the issue being fixed now. Intel already upgraded the clang they use for testing to one that is fixed and Mark Brown said Arm does testing with clang-14 but they regularly upgrade as well. Nobody should get bitten by this check in its current form unless they are not upgrading their development version of clang but in that case, they are doing it wrong to begin with in my opinion (would it not be the same as someone using v5.13-rc1 when v5.13-rc6 is out?)

If we waited until the next merge window, that would certainly give various entities enough time to upgrade their pre-release versions.

However, if you are truly opposed to a version check, can we at least just check for the presence of -Wunreachable-code-fallthrough as I suggested before? Yes, it is slightly more expensive as we have to call the compiler rather than using make builtins but then your concern of -Wimplicit-fallthrough getting enabled when it is buggy is completely addressed and people who have a fixed toolchain get access to the warning now.

Cheers,
Nathan