Re: [ANNOUNCE] 4.4.277-rt224

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Fri Aug 20 2021 - 13:53:07 EST

Hi!

> > > Sorry for the long delay. I was refactoring and improving my test
> > > setup which took a bit longer than I expected. I switched from a
> > > Debian based rootfs to an Tumbleweed based one, for obvious
> > > reasons. Anyway, this should not matter at all.
> >
> > A bit late thanks for the release, BTW. We are maintaining -cip-rt
> > based kernels, and were getting worried :-).
>
> Sorry about that. I should have send out a note earlier. Anyway, I'll
> plan to work on the next update soon. There are a few futex changes
> which collide. It's going to be interesting.

FYI we are on 2 month cycle for -cip-rt, so we are still fine for a
while. We had trouble coordinating matching -cip and -rt releases, but
we decided to adjust -cip cycle to match -rt, so that should be solved.

> BTW, as you certainly are aware, the v4.4 kernel is EOL soon. As I
> understand the CIP is going to take over the maintenance. So I assume
> you are going to care of the -rt version as well?

We are aware, but I don't think we decided what will happen at that
point (and I can't really speak for the project). We plan to maintain
-cip and -cip-rt variants till 2027:

https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/civilinfrastructureplatform/start

Taking over -stable and -stable-rt maintainance, too, is something
that may make sense (and we probably will be considered), but it is
likely CIP Technical Steering Committee's (“TSC”) decision.

https://www.cip-project.org/about/charter

Actually, your input may be important here. If you (or SuSE or someone
else) can put some resources into 4.4-rt after February 2022, that
would be good to know.

Best regards,
Pavel
(Again I don't speak for the project)
--
DENX Software Engineering GmbH, Managing Director: Wolfgang Denk