Wanted: CDROM maintainer

From: Jens Axboe
Date: Fri Aug 27 2021 - 10:10:37 EST

Hi,

Back in 1998, if I recall correctly, Erik Andersen posted on lkml that
he was looking for someone to take over development and maintainership
of the cdrom drivers. I responded to that, and ended up maintaining and
continuing the development of that part of the kernel. Outside of
working on that part of the stack, it eventually led to diving further
down the rabbit hole and into the general block IO stack. In many ways,
it kick started by career in kernel development.

These days I've got a lot on my plate, and areas like cdrom have been
neglected as a result. This obviously isn't an area of hot development
these days, but even so it still needs someone that cares for the code
and is available to review and merge patches in a timely fashion. I
haven't been able to do so for quite a while.

In the spirit of passing on the baton, I think we're way overdue for
some new blood in this area. With the recent removal of the old parallel
IDE code, the old atapi cdrom driver is gone. Hence there are really two
parts to this these days:

1) drivers/scsi/sr.c - the SCSI cdrom driver. My suggestion would be to
fold this in with general SCSI maintainership, as that's really where
that belongs.

2) drivers/cdrom/cdrom.c - the uniform cdrom layer. This is really the
meat of it. sr is a consumer, and so is the paride cdrom driver and
the sega dreamcast cdrom driver.

If you have any interest and experience with cdrom/dvd and mmc/atapi, I
would love to hear from you. Let's find a new good home for this code.

--
Jens Axboe