Re: [RFC] KVM: mm: fd-based approach for supporting KVM guest private memory

From: Yu Zhang
Date: Thu Sep 02 2021 - 04:35:09 EST

On Wed, Sep 01, 2021 at 06:27:20PM +0200, David Hildenbrand wrote:
> On 01.09.21 18:07, Andy Lutomirski wrote:

> > > Thanks Andy. I was asking the first scenario.
> > >
> > > Well, I agree it is doable if someone really want some assigned
> > > device in TD guest. As Kevin mentioned in his reply, HPA can be
> > > generated, by extending VFIO with a new mapping protocol which
> > > uses fd+offset, instead of HVA.
> >
> > I'm confused. I don't see why any new code is needed for this at all.
> > Every proposal I've seen for handling TDX memory continues to handle TDX
> > *shared* memory exactly like regular guest memory today. The only
> > differences are that more hole punching will be needed, which will
> > require lightweight memslots (to have many of them), memslots with
> > holes, or mappings backing memslots with holes (which can be done with
> > munmap() on current kernels).
> >
> > So you can literally just mmap a VFIO device and expect it to work,
> > exactly like it does right now. Whether the guest will be willing to
> > use the device will depend on the guest security policy (all kinds of
> > patches about that are flying around), but if the guest tries to use it,
> > it really should just work.
>
> ... but if you end up mapping private memory into IOMMU of the device and
> the device ends up accessing that memory, we're in the same position that
> the host might get capped, just like access from user space, no?

Well, according to the spec:

- If the result of the translation results in a physical address with a TD
private key ID, then the IOMMU will abort the transaction and report a VT-d
DMA remapping failure.

- If the GPA in the transaction that is input to the IOMMU is private (SHARED
bit is 0), then the IOMMU may abort the transaction and report a VT-d DMA
remapping failure.

So I guess mapping private GPAs in IOMMU is not that dangerous as mapping
into userspace. Though still wrong.

> Sure, you can map only the complete duplicate shared-memory region into the
> IOMMU of the device, that would work. Shame vfio mostly always pins all
> guest memory and you essentially cannot punch holes into the shared memory
> anymore -- resulting in the worst case in a duplicate memory consumption for
> your VM.
>
> So you'd actually want to map only the *currently* shared pieces into the
> IOMMU and update the mappings on demand. Having worked on something related,

Exactly. On demand mapping and page pinning for shared memory is necessary.

> I can only say that 64k individual mappings, and not being able to modify
> existing mappings except completely deleting them to replace with something
> new (!atomic), can be quite an issue for bigger VMs.

Do you mean atomicity in mapping/unmapping can hardly be guaranteed during
the shared <-> private transition? May I ask for elaboration? Thanks!

B.R.
Yu