Re: [GIT PULL] overflow updates for v5.15-rc1

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun Sep 05 2021 - 14:22:18 EST

On Sun, Sep 5, 2021 at 10:36 AM Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sadly, I don't think linux-next checks for warnings.
>
> I really want to enable -Werror at some point, but every time I think
> I should, I just end up worrying about another random new compiler (or
> a random old one).
>
> We do have -Werror in various configurations (and in some sub-trees).

Whatever. I'll just make a new config option, make it 'default y', and
it will be on for anybody doing allmodconfig builds etc.

And if people have new compilers, or odd configurations that still
cause warnings, they can turn it off, but hopefully this will make
compiler warnings in linux-next (or any other automated builds) cause
a lot more noise.

Linus