Re: linux-next: build warning after merge of the kspp tree

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Sep 06 2021 - 13:12:59 EST

On Mon, Sep 6, 2021 at 10:06 AM Kees Cook <keescook@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Linus, warnings are being reported (as above)

New warnings are apparently at least partly reported, but also clearly
(a) old warnings are ignored, and (b) new warnings seem to be very
spottily fixed too.

Guenter reports "pass: 89 fail: 64" for his build setups.

So the fact that *I* require a clean build, and generally have two
reject a couple of build requests every merge window because of that
clearly doesn't mean that we actually have clean builds.

I've had that "no warnings" requirement for years. And that means that
*my* build has been clean for years.

I want *all* builds to be clean, or at least as far as possible.

You should be the last to complain. You are literally the drop that
broke the camel's back. I'm done being the last guard against build
warnings.

Linus