Re: [RFC 05/20] vfio/pci: Register device to /dev/vfio/devices

From: Jason Gunthorpe
Date: Tue Sep 21 2021 - 17:58:53 EST

On Tue, Sep 21, 2021 at 03:09:29PM -0600, Alex Williamson wrote:

> the iommufd uAPI at all. Isn't part of that work to understand how KVM
> will be told about non-coherent devices rather than "meh, skip it in the
> kernel"? Also let's not forget that vfio is not only for KVM.

vfio is not only for KVM, but AFIACT the wbinv stuff is only for
KVM... But yes, I agree this should be sorted out at this stage

> > > When the device is opened via /dev/vfio/devices, vfio-pci should prevent
> > > the user from accessing the assigned device because the device is still
> > > attached to the default domain which may allow user-initiated DMAs to
> > > touch arbitrary place. The user access must be blocked until the device
> > > is later bound to an iommufd (see patch 08). The binding acts as the
> > > contract for putting the device in a security context which ensures user-
> > > initiated DMAs via this device cannot harm the rest of the system.
> > >
> > > This patch introduces a vdev->block_access flag for this purpose. It's set
> > > when the device is opened via /dev/vfio/devices and cleared after binding
> > > to iommufd succeeds. mmap and r/w handlers check this flag to decide whether
> > > user access should be blocked or not.
> >
> > This should not be in vfio_pci.
> >
> > AFAIK there is no condition where a vfio driver can work without being
> > connected to some kind of iommu back end, so the core code should
> > handle this interlock globally. A vfio driver's ops should not be
> > callable until the iommu is connected.
> >
> > The only vfio_pci patch in this series should be adding a new callback
> > op to take in an iommufd and register the pci_device as a iommufd
> > device.
>
> Couldn't the same argument be made that registering a $bus device as an
> iommufd device is a common interface that shouldn't be the
> responsibility of the vfio device driver?

The driver needs enough involvment to signal what kind of IOMMU
connection it wants, eg attaching to a physical device will use the
iofd_attach_device() path, but attaching to a SW page table should use
a different API call. PASID should also be different.

Possibly a good arrangement is to have the core provide some generic
ioctl ops functions 'vfio_all_device_iommufd_bind' that everything
except mdev drivers can use so the code is all duplicated.

> non-group device anything more than a reservation of that device if
> access is withheld until iommu isolation? I also don't really want to
> predict how ioctls might evolve to guess whether only blocking .read,
> .write, and .mmap callbacks are sufficient. Thanks,

This is why I said the entire fops should be blocked in a dummy fops
so the core code the vfio_device FD parked and userspace unable to
access the ops until device attachment and thus IOMMU ioslation is
completed.

Simple and easy to reason about, a parked FD is very similar to a
closed FD.

Jason