Re: Mapcount of subpages

From: Hugh Dickins
Date: Thu Sep 23 2021 - 20:57:29 EST

On Thu, 23 Sep 2021, Zi Yan wrote:
> On 23 Sep 2021, at 19:48, Hugh Dickins wrote:

> > I believe Yang Shi is right insofar as the decision on whether it's worth
> > queuing for deferred split is being done based on those subpage _mapcounts.
> > That is a use I had not considered, and I've given no thought to how
> > important or not it is.
> >

> >> Could we just scan page tables of a THP during deferred split process
> >> instead? Deferred split is a slow path already, so maybe it can afford
> >> the extra work.
> >
> > But unless I misunderstand, actually carrying out the deferred split
> > already unmaps, uses migration entries, and remaps the remaining ptes:
> > needing no help from subpage _mapcounts to do those, and free the rest.
>
> You are right. unmap_page() during THP split is scanning the page tables
> already.
>
> For deciding whether to queue a THP for deferred split, we probably can
> keep PageDoubleMap bit to indicate if any subpage is PTE mapped.

Maybe, maybe not.

> But without subpage _mapcount, detecting extra pins to a THP before split
> might be not as easy as with it. This means every THP split will need to
> perform unmap_page(), then check the remaining page_count to see if
> THP split is possible. That would also introduce extra system-wide overheads
> from unmapping pages. Am I missing anything?

I did not explain clearly enough: a subpage's ptes must still be counted
in total_mapcount(); but I'm suggesting that perhaps they can be counted
all together (either in the head page's _mapcount, or in a separate field
if that works better), instead of being distributed amongst the separate
subpages' _mapcounts.

And this would lower the system-wide overheads inside total_mapcount()
and page_mapped() (and maybe others).

Hugh