Re: [syzbot] memory leak in __mdiobus_register

From: Pavel Skripkin
Date: Tue Sep 28 2021 - 04:15:33 EST

On 9/28/21 10:42, Dongliang Mu wrote:
On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 7:44 AM syzbot
<syzbot+398e7dc692ddbbb4cfec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello,

syzbot has tested the proposed patch and the reproducer did not trigger any issue:

Reported-and-tested-by: syzbot+398e7dc692ddbbb4cfec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tested on:

commit: 5816b3e6 Linux 5.15-rc3
git tree: upstream
kernel config: https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/.config?x=41799858eb55f380
dashboard link: https://syzkaller.appspot.com/bug?extid=398e7dc692ddbbb4cfec
compiler: gcc (Debian 10.2.1-6) 10.2.1 20210110, GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Debian) 2.35.2
patch: https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/patch.diff?x=1147b840b00000

Note: testing is done by a robot and is best-effort only.

Hi Pavel,

Confirm the patch you posted [1] is the real fix of this bug report.

I tested the patch from Yanfei Xu [2] in my local workspace, and the
memory leak is still triggered. In addition, I have pushed a patch
request for that patch. The result would prove that patch is not
working for this bug.

BTW, there occur incorrect fix commits on the syzbot dashboard
sometimes. Maybe it should be cleaned in the future.

Hi, Dongliang,

thank you for confirmation. As I said in reply to [1] Yanfei's patch is also correct, but it solves other memory leak in same function.

AFAIU, if my patch will be applied too there will be 2 fix patches on syzkaller bug report page, so no need to remove Yanfei's patch from bug report page :)

[1] https://lkml.org/lkml/2021/9/27/289
[2] https://www.spinics.net/lists/kernel/msg4089781.html

With regards,
Pavel Skripkin