outb(2) Text regarding optimizations

From: Alejandro Colomar (man-pages)
Date: Wed Oct 06 2021 - 15:14:53 EST

Hi,

outb(2) says that users of these functions should optimize to avoid having unresolved references at link time.

The text is:

[
They are primarily designed for internal kernel use, but
can be used from user space.

You must compile with -O or -O2 or similar. The functions
are defined as inline macros, and will not be substituted
in without optimization enabled, causing unresolved refer‐
ences at link time.
]

First of all, "inline macros" already is a misnomer. They are 'static inline' functions. But 'static inline' functions _never_ cause unresolved references, because they are 'static', so the function code is added to each translation unit as an anonymous function (which is a big problem of static inline: it may bloat code by repeating code in translation units, C99 inline being preferable).

So is this an incorrect advice (maybe because of a veeery old implementation)? (I couldn't find any relevant implementation changes in the glibc git history.)

If there is any reason I'm missing (I don't understand the assembly calls that these functions call, so maybe) that would cause these functions to actually require optimization, I'd say it's a bug, and a better solution would be to add the attribute __attribute__((__always_inline__)) to the functions, so that they will _always_ be inlined, no matter what optimization level the user chooses. Right?

Thanks,

Alex

--
Alejandro Colomar