Re: Performance regression: thread wakeup time (latency) increased up to 3x

From: Norbert
Date: Tue Oct 19 2021 - 03:01:37 EST

On 10/18/21 18:56, Norbert wrote:
On 10/18/21 04:25, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
On Fri, Oct 15, 2021 at 09:08:58PM -0700, Norbert wrote:

On Fri, Oct 15, 2021 at 12:43:45AM -0700, Norbert wrote:
Performance regression: thread wakeup time (latency) increased up to 3x.

Happened between 5.13.8 and 5.14.0. Still happening at least on 5.14.11.

So git-bisect finally identified the following commit.
The performance difference came in a single step. Times were consistent with
my first post either the slow time or the fast time,
as far as I could tell during the bisection.

It is a bit unfortunate that this comes from an attempt to reduce OS noise.

commit a5183862e76fdc25f36b39c2489b816a5c66e2e5
Author: Yunfeng Ye <yeyunfeng@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date:   Thu May 13 01:29:16 2021 +0200

     tick/nohz: Conditionally restart tick on idle exit

     In nohz_full mode, switching from idle to a task will unconditionally
     issue a tick restart. If the task is alone in the runqueue or is the
     highest priority, the tick will fire once then eventually stop. But that
     alone is still undesired noise.

     Therefore, only restart the tick on idle exit when it's strictly
     necessary.

     Signed-off-by: Yunfeng Ye <yeyunfeng@xxxxxxxxxx>
     Signed-off-by: Frederic Weisbecker <frederic@xxxxxxxxxx>
     Signed-off-by: Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxxxxx>
     Acked-by: Peter Zijlstra <peterz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
     Link:
https://lore.kernel.org/r/20210512232924.150322-3-frederic@xxxxxxxxxx

Is there anything else to do to complete this report?

So it _could_ be you're seeing increased use of deeper idle states due
to less noise. I'm forever forgetting what the most friendly tool is for
checking that (powertop can I think), Rafael?

One thing to try is boot with idle=halt and see if that makes a
different.

Also, let me Cc all the people involved.. the thread starts:

https://lkml.kernel.org/r/035c23b4-118e-6a35-36d9-1b11e3d679f8@xxxxxxxxx

Booting with idle=halt results in a thread wakeup time of around 2000 ns, so in the middle between the kernel 5.13 value of 1080 ns and the kernel 5.14/5.15 value of around 3550 ns. The wake call time remains at 740 ns (meaning as bad as without this setting). I'm not sure how much that says or doesn't say. By the way, using cpufreq.off=1 seems to have no effect at all.

In the meantime I verified the finding from the git bisection by manually reverting the changes from this commit in the source code of the 5.15-rc5 code base. By doing so the timings for the isolated/nohz_full CPUs come back almost to the (good) 5.13 values (both wakeup and wake-call).

However the timings for the non-isolated CPUs are unaffected and remain
with the worse performance of 1.3x for the wakeup and 1.4x for the wake call. So this apparently requires a separate independent git-bisect and is probably a second separate issue (if it is also due to a single change).

I've tried a bit to narrow down the cause of the 3.3x slowdown but am still trying to find my way through the maze of little functions... :-).

On the thought that it might enter deeper idle/wait/sleep states:

The benchmark executes this test in a quite tight loop, except that so far it waited 1000 ns (with a mix of pause and rdtsc) before calling futex-wake, to make sure the other thread fully enters the futex-wait without taking any shortcuts.

Except when this "prepare time" is reduced to less than even 350 ns or so, the timings remain the same (they go up before they start going down). Surely in this situation the thread is at least not supposed to enter deeper states for such short waiting times.

Best, Norbert