Re: [PM] bfcc1e67ff: kernel-selftests.breakpoints.step_after_suspend_test.fail

From: Florian Fainelli
Date: Wed Oct 20 2021 - 11:34:53 EST

On 10/20/2021 6:49 AM, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 9:04 PM Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 10/19/21 11:53 AM, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
On 10/15/2021 9:40 PM, Florian Fainelli wrote:
On 10/15/21 11:45 AM, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
On 10/14/2021 11:55 PM, Florian Fainelli wrote:
On 10/14/21 12:23 PM, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
On 10/14/2021 6:26 PM, Florian Fainelli wrote:
On 10/14/21 12:57 AM, kernel test robot wrote:
Greeting,

FYI, we noticed the following commit (built with gcc-9):

commit: bfcc1e67ff1e4aa8bfe2ca57f99390fc284c799d ("PM: sleep: Do not
assume that "mem" is always present")
https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git
master

in testcase: kernel-selftests
version: kernel-selftests-x86_64-c8c9111a-1_20210929
with following parameters:

group: group-00
ucode: 0x11

test-description: The kernel contains a set of "self tests" under
the
tools/testing/selftests/ directory. These are intended to be small
unit tests to exercise individual code paths in the kernel.
test-url: https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/kselftest.txt

on test machine: 288 threads 2 sockets Intel(R) Xeon Phi(TM) CPU
7295
@ 1.50GHz with 80G memory

caused below changes (please refer to attached dmesg/kmsg for entire
log/backtrace):

If you fix the issue, kindly add following tag
Reported-by: kernel test robot <oliver.sang@xxxxxxxxx>
Thanks for your report. Assuming that the code responsible for
registering the suspend operations is drivers/acpi/sleep.c for your
platform, and that acpi_sleep_suspend_setup() iterated over all
possible
sleep states, your platform must somehow be returning that
ACPI_STATE_S3
is not a supported state somehow?

Rafael have you ever encountered something like that?
Yes, there are systems with ACPI that don't support S3.
OK and do you know what happens when we enter suspend with "mem" in
those cases? Do we immediately return because ultimately the firmware
does not support ACPI S3?
"mem" should not be present in the list of available strings then, so it
should be rejected right away.
Well yes, that was the purpose of the patch I submitted, but assuming
that we did provide "mem" as one of the possible standby modes even
though that was wrong (before patch), and the test was trying to enter
ACPI S3 standby, what would have happened, would the ACPI firmware honor
the request but return an error, or would it actually enter ACPI S3?

In any case, I will change the test to check that this is a supported
standby mode before trying it.

Unfortunately, I will need to revert bfcc1e67ff1e4aa8bfe2, because it
breaks user space compatibility and that's got caught properly by the test.

Reverting my commit will break powerpc and other ARM/ARM64 platforms
where mem is not supported (via PSCI),

It won't break anything, although the things that didn't work before
will still not work after it.

And "mem" is always supported even if there are no suspend_ops at all,
in which case it becomes an alternative way to trigger s2idle.

So, on the affected systems, what's there in /sys/power/? Is
mem_sleep present? If so, what's in it?

With 4.9 which is what I used initially:

# cat /sys/power/state
freeze standby
# cat /sys/power/
pm_async pm_print_times pm_wakeup_irq wakeup_count
pm_freeze_timeout pm_test state

With a newer kernel without my patch:

# cat /sys/power/state
freeze standby mem
# cat /sys/power/mem_sleep
s2idle shallow [deep]
# cat /sys/power/
mem_sleep pm_freeze_timeout pm_wakeup_irq wakeup_count
pm_async pm_print_times state
pm_debug_messages pm_test suspend_stats/

I have a change pending for PSCI
that will actually check that SYSTEM_SUSPEND is supported before
unconditionally making use of it.

What happens is that "mem" is a "pointer" to a secondary list of
possible states and that generally is "s2idle shallow deep" and if
s2idle is the only available option, it will be just "s2idle".

This list is there in /sys/power/mem_sleep.

It was done this way, because some variants of user space expect "mem"
to be always present and don't recognize "freeze" properly.

Sorry for the confusion.

So how do we all get our cookie here? Should we just slap an #ifndef
CONFIG_ACPI in order to allow platforms that do not have "mem" to not
have it?

Certainly not.

I've just hacked my test-bed system with ACPI so it does not register
any suspend_ops at all and I have "freeze mem disk" in
/sys/power/state and "s2idle" in /sys/power/mem_sleep. Writing "mem"
to /sys/power/state causes s2idle to be carried out.

Since this is the expected behavior, I'm not sure what the problem is.

The problem is advertising "mem" in /sys/power/state when the state is not actually supported by the platform firmware here, whether that translates into the form of s2idle or not. It is not supported, and it should not be there IMHO. I was late to the game in identifying that, but the 4.9 kernel makes sense to me.

Similarly, if you take arch/powerpc/sysdev/fsl_pmc.c only PM_SUSPEND_STANDBY is valid, so advertising mem would be wrong if we don't look at what ->valid tells us.
--
Florian