Re: epoll may leak events on dup

From: Eric Wong
Date: Sun Oct 31 2021 - 06:50:11 EST

Sargun Dhillon <sargun@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 31, 2021 at 07:39:23AM +0000, Eric Wong wrote:
> > CRIU? Checkpoint/Restore In Userspace?
> > Sargun Dhillon <sargun@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> Right, in CRIU, epoll is restored by manually cloning the FDs to the
> right spot, and re-installing the events into epoll. This requires:
> 0. Getting the original epoll FD
> 1. Fetching / recreating the original FD
> 2. dup2'ing it to right spot (and avoiding overwriting the original epoll FD)
> 3. EPOLL_CTL_ADD'ing the FD back in.

OK, am I understanding it's something like:

int tmp_fd = epoll_create1(...);
if (tmp_fd != orig_epfd) {
dup2(tmp_fd, orig_epfd);
close(tmp_fd);
}

for (/* loop over original FDs: */) {
tmp_fd = socket(...);
if (tmpfd != orig_sfd) {
dup2(tmp_fd, orig_sfd);
close(tmp_fd);
}
epoll_ctl(orig_epfd, EPOLL_CTL_ADD, orig_sfd, ...);
}

Is that close to what CRIU is doing?
In no place does tmp_fd end up in the epoll rbtree, there.
Everything is keyed w/ orig_sfd and it's underlying file.