Re: Using perf_event_open() to sample multiple events of a process

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Fri Nov 05 2021 - 20:47:44 EST

On Thu, Nov 04, 2021 at 10:57:50PM -0700, Nadav Amit wrote:
> Hello Ken, Peter,
>
> I would appreciate some help regarding the use of perf_event_open()
> to have multiple samples getting into the same mmap’d memory when they
> are both attached to the same process.
>
> I am doing so (using both PERF_FLAG_FD_NO_GROUP and PERF_FLAG_FD_OUTPUT),
> but it results in -EINVAL. Debugging the code shows that
> perf_event_set_output() fails due to the following check:
>
> /*
> * If its not a per-cpu rb, it must be the same task.
> */
> if (output_event->cpu == -1 && output_event->ctx != event->ctx)
> goto out;
>
> However, it appears that at this point, event->ctx is not initialized
> (it is null) so the test fails and the whole perf_event_open() syscall
> fails.
>
> Am I missing something? If not, I am unsure, unfortunately, what the
> proper way to fix it is…
>
> I include a small test that fails on my system. The second
> perf_event_open fails due to the check in perf_event_set_output():

Works when you use the SET_OUTPUT ioctl()...

I think something went sideways in the syscall path and things went out
of order :/ I'll try and have a look.

---
#define _GNU_SOURCE 1

#include <asm/unistd.h>
#include <linux/perf_event.h>
#include <linux/hw_breakpoint.h>
#include <sys/mman.h>
#include <sys/ioctl.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <stdio.h>

long perf_event_open(struct perf_event_attr* event_attr, pid_t pid, int cpu,
int group_fd, unsigned long flags)
{
return syscall(__NR_perf_event_open, event_attr, pid, cpu, group_fd, flags);
}

int main(void)
{
pid_t pid = getpid();
int group_fd, fd, err;
void *p;
struct perf_event_attr pe = {
.type = 4,
.size = sizeof(struct perf_event_attr),
.config = 0x11d0,
.sample_type = 0x8,
.sample_period = 1000,
.precise_ip = 2,
};

group_fd = perf_event_open(&pe, pid, -1, -1, PERF_FLAG_FD_CLOEXEC |
PERF_FLAG_FD_NO_GROUP |
PERF_FLAG_FD_OUTPUT);

if (group_fd < 0) {
perror("first perf_event_open");
exit(-1);
}

p = mmap(NULL, 3 * 4096, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_SHARED, group_fd, 0);

if (p == MAP_FAILED) {
perror("MAP_FAILED");
exit(-1);
}

pe.config = 0x12d0;

fd = perf_event_open(&pe, pid, -1, -1, PERF_FLAG_FD_CLOEXEC |
PERF_FLAG_FD_NO_GROUP |
PERF_FLAG_FD_OUTPUT);

if (fd < 0) {
perror("second perf_event_open");
exit(-1);
}

err = ioctl(fd, PERF_EVENT_IOC_SET_OUTPUT, group_fd);
if (err < 0) {
perror("ioctl");
exit(-1);
}