Re: [GIT PULL] sound updates for 5.16-rc1

From: Takashi Iwai
Date: Wed Nov 17 2021 - 11:24:38 EST

On Wed, 17 Nov 2021 17:18:55 +0100,
Kirill A. Shutemov wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 03, 2021 at 11:24:10AM +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > Linus,
> >
> > please pull sound updates for v5.16-rc1 from:
> >
> > git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tiwai/sound.git tags/sound-5.16-rc1
> >
> > The topmost commit is df0380b9539b04c1ae8854a984098da06d5f1e67

> > sound updates for 5.16-rc1
> >
> > Lots of code development have been see in ASoC side as usual, while
> > the continued development on memalloc helper and USB-audio low-
> > latency support are found in the rest. Note that a few changes in the
> > unusual places like arch/sh are included, which are a part of ASoC DAI
> > format cleanups.
> >
> > ALSA core:
> > - Continued memallloc helper updates and cleanups, now supporting
> > non-coherent and non-contiguous pages
> > - Fixes for races in mixer OSS layer
> >
> > ASoC:
> > - A new version of the audio graph card which supports a wider range
> > of systems
> > - Several conversions to YAML DT bindings
> > - Continuing cleanups to the SOF and Intel code
> > - Move of the Cirrus DSP framework into drivers/firmware to allow for
> > future use by non-audio DSPs
> > - An overhaul of the cs42l42 driver, correcting many problems
> > - DAI format terminology conversions over many drivers for cleanups
> > - Support for AMD Vangogh and Yelow Cap, Cirrus CS35L41, Maxim
> > MAX98520 and MAX98360A, Mediatek MT8195, Nuvoton NAU8821, nVidia
> > Tegra210, NXP i.MX8ULP, Qualcomm AudioReach, Realtek ALC5682I-VS,
> > RT5682S, and RT9120 and Rockchip RV1126 and RK3568
> >
> > USB-audio:
> > - Continued improvements on low-latency playback
> > - Quirks for Pioneer devices, Line6 HX-Stomp XL, Audient iD14
> >
> > HD-audio:
> > - Reduce excessive udelay() calls on Intel platforms; this should
> > reduce the CPU load with PulseAudio
> > - Quirks for HP and Clevo laptops
> >
> > FireWire:
> > - Support for meter information on MOTU

> > Takashi Iwai (29):
> > ALSA: hda: Reduce udelay() at SKL+ position reporting
> > ALSA: hda: Use position buffer for SKL+ again
> > ALSA: usb-audio: Restrict rates for the shared clocks
> > ALSA: usb-audio: Fix possible race at sync of urb completions
> > ALSA: usb-audio: Rename early_playback_start flag with lowlatency_playback
> > ALSA: usb-audio: Disable low-latency playback for free-wheel mode
> > ALSA: usb-audio: Disable low-latency mode for implicit feedback sync
> > ALSA: usb-audio: Check available frames for the next packet size
> > ALSA: usb-audio: Add spinlock to stop_urbs()
> > ALSA: usb-audio: Improved lowlatency playback support
>
> This commit breaks audio playback for me. The sample plays for fraction of
> a second than stops.
>
> I use SMSL SA300. Let me know what ifo is needed to track it down.
>
> Also I can test potential fixups if needed.

Could you give alsa-info.sh output with the device? Run the script
with --no-upload option, and attach the output.
Also /proc/asound/card*/stream* file for that usb device, too,
please.

And, which environment are you testing, more exactly? Which platform,
and with PulseAudio, pipewire, JACK, or direct ALSA device use?

For checking the behavior, we'd need to check hw_params in
/proc/asound/card*/pcm*/sub*/* for the corresponding device during
playback/capture operations.

Takashi