Re: question about all*config and COMPILE_TEST

From: Arnd Bergmann
Date: Thu Dec 09 2021 - 02:45:50 EST

On Thu, Dec 9, 2021 at 6:07 AM Kees Cook <keescook@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> tl;dr: is there a way to force a config default to "off" under
> all*config builds, but still leave it configurable? (i.e. not "depends
> on !COMPILE_TEST")
>
> I'm trying to understand a Kconfig behavior with regard to
> COMPILE_TEST. I'm able to use an "all*config" target, followed by specific
> additional config changes (e.g. turning off KCOV), but I can't enable
> things like DEBUG_INFO because of their "depends on !COMPILE_TEST".
> Whenever I want to examine debug info from all*config build I need to
> patch lib/Kconfig.debug to remove the depends. I was hoping I could,
> instead do:

This would be a minor hassle for my randconfig testing because I really
want to have DEBUG_INFO disabled when building randconfigs in order
to keep down compile times. I could however just force DEBUG_INFO=n
the same way as forcing COMPILE_TEST=y at the moment.

> I then thought I could use:
>
> default !COMPILE_TEST
>
> since this works:
>
> config WERROR
> bool "Compile the kernel with warnings as errors"
> default COMPILE_TEST
>
> but I think the above is a no-op: it's the same as not having
> "default COMPILE_TEST" when doing an all*config build: it'll be enabled
> not because of COMPILE_TEST but because of the all*config pass.

Correct. One trick that works here is to use a 'choice' statement, as those
still honor the 'default' value even for allmodconfig -- Kconfig has no
idea which one of them is the 'all' version.

> How can I make DEBUG_INFO configurable, but default off under
> all*config?

I'd try generalizing the "DWARF version" choice to offer 'none' as a
default, like

choice
prompt "Debug information"
default DEBUG_INFO_NONE if COMPILE_TEST
default DEBUG_INFO_DWARF_TOOLCHAIN_DEFAULT if DEBUG_KERNEL

config DEBUG_INFO_NONE
bool "Turn off all debug information"

config DEBUG_INFO_DWARF_TOOLCHAIN_DEFAULT
bool "Rely on the toolchain's implicit default DWARF version"

config DEBUG_INFO_DWARF4
bool "Generate DWARF Version 4 debuginfo"

config DEBUG_INFO_DWARF5
bool "Generate DWARF Version 5 debuginfo"
depends on !CC_IS_CLANG || (CC_IS_CLANG && (AS_IS_LLVM ||
(AS_IS_GNU && AS_VERSION >= 23502)))
depends on !DEBUG_INFO_BTF

endchoice

Arnd