Re: [ANNOUNCE] "Fast Kernel Headers" Tree -v2

From: Arnd Bergmann
Date: Tue Jan 11 2022 - 11:23:34 EST

On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 11:03 PM Arnd Bergmann <arnd@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 8, 2022 at 5:26 PM Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've started building randconfig kernels for arm64 and x86, and fixing
> up things that come up, a few things I have noticed out so far:

I have run into a couple more specific issues:

* net/smc/smc_ib.c:824:26: error: implicit declaration of function
'cache_line_size' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
cache_line_size is generally provided by linux/cache.h, which includes
asm/cache.h.
This works on arm64, but not on x86, where asm/cache.h would have to include
asm/cpufeature.h, and but it would be good to avoid that because of the implicit
linux/percpu.h and linux/bitops.h inclusions. Also, if I add the
include, I get this
build failure instead: include/linux/smp_types.h:88:33: error:
requested alignment '20'
is not a positive power of 2

* arm64 has a couple of issues around asm/memory.h, linux/mm_types.h
and asm/page.h
that can cause loops. I think my latest version has it figured out,
but there is probably
room for optimization.

* There is no general way to get the get_order() definition, other
than including
asm/page.h from .c files. On arm64, this shows up in a couple of files after the
cleanup. Only xtensa and ia64 define their own version of get_order(),
and I think
we should just remove those and move the generic version to linux/getorder.h,
where any file using it can pick it up. For randconfig builds, I had
to add asm/page.h
to net/xdp/xsk_queue.c, mm/memtest.c and
drivers/target/iscsi/iscsi_target_nego.c,
after I removed the indirect include from arch/arm64/include/asm/mmu.h
in the previous step.

Arnd