Re: Phyr Starter

From: Logan Gunthorpe
Date: Tue Jan 11 2022 - 18:08:45 EST

On 2022-01-11 4:02 p.m., Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 03:57:07PM -0700, Logan Gunthorpe wrote:
>>

>> On 2022-01-11 3:53 p.m., Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
>>> I just want to share the whole API that will have to exist to
>>> reasonably support this flexible array of intervals data structure..
>>
>> Is that really worth it? I feel like type safety justifies replicating a
>> bit of iteration and allocation infrastructure. Then there's no silly
>> mistakes of thinking one array is one thing when it is not.
>
> If it is a 'a bit' then sure, but I suspect doing a good job here will
> be a lot of code here.
>
> Look at how big scatterlist is, for instance.

Yeah, but scatterlist has a ton of cruft; numerous ways to allocate,
multiple iterators, developers using it in different ways, etc, etc.
It's a big mess. bvec.h is much smaller (though includes stuff that
wouldn't necessarily be appropriate here).

Also some things apply to one but not the other. eg: a memcpy to/from
function might make sense for a phy_range but makes no sense for a
dma_range.

> Maybe we could have a generic 64 bit interval arry and then two type
> wrappers that do dma and physaddr casting? IDK.
>
> Not sure type safety of DMA vs CPU address is critical?

I would argue it is. A DMA address is not a CPU address and should not
be treated the same.

Logan