Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the kspp tree

From: Masami Hiramatsu
Date: Tue Jan 25 2022 - 09:37:01 EST

On Tue, 25 Jan 2022 22:27:32 +0900
Masami Hiramatsu <mhiramat@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > /*
> > * struct trace_event_data_offsets_<call> {
> > * u32 <item1>;
> > * u32 <item2>;
> > * [...]
> > * };
> > *
> > * The __dynamic_array() macro will create each u32 <item>, this is
> > * to keep the offset of each array from the beginning of the event.
> > * The size of an array is also encoded, in the higher 16 bits of
> > * <item>.
> > */
> >
> > So, I think -Warray-bounds is refusing to see the destination as
> > anything except a u32, but being accessed at 4 (sizeof(u32)) + 8
> > (address && 0xffff) (?)
>
> Ah, I got it. Yes, that's right. __data_loc() will access the data
> from the __entry, but the __rel_loc() points the same address from
> the encoded field ("__rel_loc_foo" in this case) itself.
> This is introduced for the user application event, which doesn't
> know the actual __entry size because the __entry includes some
> kernel internal defined fields.
>
> > But if this is true, I would imagine there would be plenty of other
> > warnings? I'm currently stumped.
>
> That is because __rel_loc is used only in the sample code in the kernel
> for testing. Other use-cases comes from user-space.
> Hmm, can we skip this boundary check for this example?

If the -Warray-bounds determines the destination array size from
the type of given pointer, we can just change the macro as below;

#define __get_rel_dynamic_array(field)
((void *)__entry + \
offsetof(typeof(*__entry), __rel_loc_##field) + \
sizeof(__entry->__rel_loc_##field) + \
(__entry->__rel_loc_##field & 0xffff))

This must works same as __get_dynamic_array() macro.

Could you try this patch?