linux-firmware embedded usecase, licenses.

From: Christian Melki
Date: Wed Jan 26 2022 - 08:08:39 EST

Hi.

I have this usecase where I include selected parts of linux-firmware on an embedded machine. As the entire archive is pretty large, only the needed bits are copied.

Now my issue is that typical embedded build environments create their own little version of license/information selection hell. They do it so they can figure out which files belong to what license, etc.

https://github.com/buildroot/buildroot/blob/master/package/linux-firmware/linux-firmware.mk
https://git.yoctoproject.org/poky/plain/meta/recipes-kernel/linux-firmware/linux-firmware_20211216.bb
(and others)

So instead of everyone trying to work out the same information (and checking the integrity of that on every release), it would be nice if the WHENCE file was a bit more structured. That would help something like copy-firmware.sh (or similar) to do most of the mundane bits.

Regards,
Christian