Re: linux-next: build warnings after merge of the tip tree

From: Masami Hiramatsu
Date: Tue Mar 22 2022 - 05:15:04 EST

On Tue, 22 Mar 2022 09:08:22 +0100
Peter Zijlstra <peterz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 22, 2022 at 02:31:36PM +0900, Masami Hiramatsu wrote:
>
> > > Also, I think both should fix regs->ss.
> >
> > I'm not sure this part. Since the return trampoline should run in the same
> > context of the called function, isn't ss same there too?
>
> It creates pt_regs on the stack, so the trampolines do:
>
> push $arch_rethook_trampoline
> push %rsp
> pushf
> sub $24, %rsp /* cs, ip, orig_ax */
> push %rdi
> push %r15
>
> That means that if anybody looks at regs->ss, it'll find
> $arch_rethook_trampoline, which isn't a valid segment descriptor, or am
> I just really bad at counting today?

Ah, got it. It seems that the ss was skipped from the beginning, and
no one argued that.

> I'm thinking you want a copy of __KERNEL_DS in that stack slot, not a
> function pointer.

The function pointer is for unwinding stack which involves the kretprobe.
Anyway, I can add a slot for ss if it is neeeded. But if it always be
__KERNEL_DS, is it worth to save it?

Thank you,

--
Masami Hiramatsu <mhiramat@xxxxxxxxxx>