Re: [REGRESSION] Recent swiotlb DMA_FROM_DEVICE fixes break ath9k-based AP

From: Robin Murphy
Date: Wed Mar 23 2022 - 16:54:21 EST

On 2022-03-23 17:27, Linus Torvalds wrote:

I'm assuming that the ath9k issue is that it gives DMA mapping a big
enough area to handle any possible packet size, and just expects -
quite reasonably - smaller packets to only fill the part they need.

Which that "info leak" patch obviously breaks entirely.

Except that's the exact case which the new patch is addressing

Not "addressing". Breaking.

Which is why it will almost certainly get reverted.

Not doing DMA to the whole area seems to be quite the sane thing to do
for things like network packets, and overwriting the part that didn't
get DMA'd with zeroes seems to be exactly the wrong thing here.

So the SG_IO - and other random untrusted block command sources - data
leak will almost certainly have to be addressed differently. Possibly
by simply allocating the area with GFP_ZERO to begin with.

Er, the point of the block layer case is that whole area *is* zeroed to begin with, and a latent memory corruption problem in SWIOTLB itself replaces those zeros with random other kernel data unexpectedly. Let me try illustrating some sequences for clarity...

Expected behaviour/without SWIOTLB:
Memory
start 12345678
dma_map(DMA_FROM_DEVICE) no-op
device writes partial data 12ABC678 <- ABC
dma_unmap(DMA_FROM_DEVICE) 12ABC678

SWIOTLB previously:
Memory Bounce buffer
start 12345678 xxxxxxxx
dma_map(DMA_FROM_DEVICE) no-op
device writes partial data 12345678 xxABCxxx <- ABC
dma_unmap(DMA_FROM_DEVICE) xxABCxxx <- xxABCxxx

SWIOTLB Now:
Memory Bounce buffer
start 12345678 xxxxxxxx
dma_map(DMA_FROM_DEVICE) 12345678 -> 12345678
device writes partial data 12345678 12ABC678 <- ABC
dma_unmap(DMA_FROM_DEVICE) 12ABC678 <- 12ABC678

Now, sure we can prevent any actual information leakage by initialising the bounce buffer slot with zeros, but then we're just corrupting the not-written-to parts of the mapping with zeros instead of anyone else's old data. That's still fundamentally not OK. The only thing SWIOTLB can do to be correct is treat DMA_FROM_DEVICE as a read-modify-write of the entire mapping, because it has no way to know how much of it is actually going to be modified.

I'll admit I still never quite grasped the reason for also adding the override to swiotlb_sync_single_for_device() in aa6f8dcbab47, but I think by that point we were increasingly tired and confused and starting to second-guess ourselves (well, I was, at least). I don't think it's wrong per se, but as I said I do think it can bite anyone who's been doing dma_sync_*() wrong but getting away with it until now. If ddbd89deb7d3 alone turns out to work OK then I'd be inclined to try a partial revert of just that one hunk.

Thanks,
Robin.