Re: linux-next: Fixes tags need some work in the pinctrl tree

From: Caleb Connolly
Date: Mon Apr 25 2022 - 09:35:48 EST

On 25/04/2022 14:33, Linus Walleij wrote:
On Mon, Apr 25, 2022 at 2:27 PM Caleb Connolly <kc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The patch shouldn't be backported to stable as it will introduce a bug if ported
without the second patch (and as above, I don't think this series should be
backported at all). Could you let me know how to get this dropped from backporting?

If Greg or Sasha etc propose the patch for stable (which will not happen
automatically unless you explicitly add Cc: stable@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
they send out a proposal "I will add this patch to stable", with CC to the
author, and then you can say you don't want it backported.

Many Fixes:-tagged patches do not get picked up for stable, it is not
what the tag means, if you want things to be picked for stable, the
rule is Cc: stable@, it's just that sometimes the stable maintainers
(and an AI!) pick some Fixes: patches anyways.
Ah ok, that's a relief. Thanks for the explanation!

Yours,
Linus Walleij