Re: ndctl tests usable?

From: Michal Suchánek
Date: Tue Apr 26 2022 - 14:10:09 EST

On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 09:47:19AM -0700, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 9:43 AM Michal Suchánek <msuchanek@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > The modinfo just tells you what modules are available, but it does not
> > > necessarily indicate which modules are actively loaded in the system
> > > which is what ndctl_test_init() validates.
> >
> > Isn't what modinfo lists also what modrobe loads?
>
> It shows what modprobe would load on the next invocation, but
> sometimes when nfit_test fails it's because the initramfs or something
> else loaded the modules without respecting the extra/ (or updates/ in
> your case) override modules.
>
> > There isn't any pmem so I don't see why production modules would be
> > loaded before the test modules are installed. Unloading the modules
> > first does not really make any difference.
>
> Ok, my first guess was wrong... would need more debug to see what
> those other skip tests are complaining about.

There was also missing parted and hostname command.

However, the nfit.ko is detected as production even when I remove all
the production modules just in case. lsmod confirms that the nvdimm
modules are not loaded before the test.

Maybe something goes wrong with the test module build?

It is very fragile and requires complete kernel source for each
configuration built. See below for the package

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:michals/nfit_test

Attaching the log of test run which does not report any missing tools,
only complains about nfit.ko being production.

Thanks

Michal