Re: [PATCH v3 0/6] hwmon: (nct6775) Convert to regmap, add i2c support

From: Zev Weiss
Date: Tue Apr 26 2022 - 15:38:21 EST

On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 01:57:40AM PDT, Guenter Roeck wrote:
On 4/26/22 01:29, Zev Weiss wrote:
[Adding korg webmaster re: list infrastructure]

On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 12:18:42AM PDT, Zev Weiss wrote:

This is v3 of my effort to add i2c support to the nct6775 hwmon

Changes since v2 [0]:
- Renamed drivers and Kconfig symbols to keep existing platform
  driver as "nct6775" (SENSORS_NCT6775) and the core module as
  "nct6775-core" (SENSORS_NCT6775_CORE) [Guenter]

Unfortunately while this was a simple enough change to make (a few 'git mv' commands and a handful of actual text changes), it ballooned the size of the diff for patch 5 to the point that vger bounced it for exceeding the 100K message-size limit.  As far as I can tell it looks like it went through elsewhere, but does leave a bit of a gap in the public list archives -- please let me know if there's anything I should try in terms of re-sending it.  (The only combination of 'git format-patch' flags I've been able to find that gets it back down to approximately its previous size is '-B -D', which isn't so useful for actually applying.)

I'm not sure how critical a limit that 100K is, or if it's something we might consider raising a bit?

You could split it up further. For example, you could introduce
the include file first. Also, please run checkpatch --strict on
your patches. I don't care about commenting the mutex, but there
should be no double empty lines. Also, while you are at it,
it would be great if you can add another patch to fix the

WARNING: Symbolic permissions 'S_IWUSR | S_IRUGO' are not preferred. Consider using octal permissions '0644'.


Ack -- hadn't been aware of the --strict flag for checkpatch, thanks. I'll do that in v4.

Anyway, I wondered what changed... oh, I see. You didn't rename
nct6775.c. I didn't suggest that. The new file name was fine.
I only asked you to change the Kconfig symbols, not the file names.
It is ok and actually desirable to change the file names.
The platform driver module can and should still be named nct6775;
that can be handled in the Makefile with something like

nct6775-objs := nct6775-platform.o
obj-$(CONFIG_SENSORS_NCT6775) += nct6775.o

Got it, will revert to the previous file names, which should sidestep the message-size problem.