Re: Routing loops & TTL tracking with tunnel devices

From: Jason A. Donenfeld
Date: Fri Apr 29 2022 - 17:54:09 EST

Hi Eric,

On Fri, Apr 29, 2022 at 11:14 PM Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 4/29/22 14:07, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
>
> Hi Eric,
>
> On Fri, Apr 29, 2022 at 01:54:27PM -0700, Eric Dumazet wrote:
>
> Anyway, it'd be nice if there were a free u8 somewhere in sk_buff that I
> could use for tracking times through the stack. Other kernels have this
> but afaict Linux still does not. I looked into trying to overload some
> existing fields -- tstamp/skb_mstamp_ns or queue_mapping -- which I was
> thinking might be totally unused on TX?
>
> if skbs are stored in some internal wireguard queue, can not you use
> skb->cb[],
>
> like many other layers do ?
>
> This isn't for some internal wireguard queue. The packets get sent out
> of udp_tunnel_xmit_skb(), so they leave wireguard's queues.
>

> OK, where is the queue then ?
>
> dev_xmit_recursion() is supposed to catch long chains of virtual devices.

This is the long-chain-of-virtual-devices case indeed. But
dev_xmit_recursion() does not help here, since that's just a per-cpu
increment, assuming that the packet actually gets xmit'd in its
ndo_start_xmit function. But in reality, wireguard queues up the
packet, encrypts it in some worker later, and eventually transmits it
with udp_tunnel_xmit_skb(). All the while ndo_start_xmit() has long
returned. So no help from dev_xmit_recursion().

Jason