Re: [RFC] sched,livepatch: call klp_try_switch_task in __cond_resched

From: Petr Mladek
Date: Mon May 09 2022 - 11:22:58 EST

On Mon 2022-05-09 14:13:17, Rik van Riel wrote:

> > Not really. There is no difference between an explicit preemption
> > point
> > (cond_resched) or an involuntary preemption point (PREEMPT=y).
> >
> > So unless you can *exactly* say why it isn't a problem on PREEMPT=y,
> > none of this makes any sense.
>
> I suspect it is a problem on PREEMPT=y too, but is there some sort
> of fairly light weight (in terms of stuff we need to add to the kernel)
> solution that could solve both?
>
> Do we have some real time per-CPU kernel threads we could just
> issue a NOOP call to, which would preempt long-running kernel
> threads (like a kworker with oodles of work to do)?
>
> Could the stopper workqueue be a suitable tool for this job?

An interesting solution would be to queue irq_work in CPU that
is occupied by the long-running kernel task.

It might be queued from klp_try_complete_transition() that
is called from the regular klp_transition_work_fn().

Then the task might try to migrate itself from the irq_work.
But the problem is that stack_trace_save_tsk_reliable() probably
will not be able to store a reliable backtrace for the interrupted
task.

So, we might really need to stop the task (CPU). But there still
might be problem if stack_trace_save_tsk_reliable() will consider
the stack as reliable.

Best Regards,
Petr