Re: [GIT PULL] virtio: last minute fixup

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue May 10 2022 - 14:29:58 EST

On Tue, May 10, 2022 at 5:24 AM Michael S. Tsirkin <mst@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> A last minute fixup of the transitional ID numbers.
> Important to get these right - if users start to depend on the
> wrong ones they are very hard to fix.

Hmm. I've pulled this, but those numbers aren't exactly "new".

They've been that way since 5.14, so what makes you think people
haven't already started depending on them?

And - once again - I want to complain about the "Link:" in that commit.

It points to a completely useless patch submission. It doesn't point
to anything useful at all.

I think it's a disease that likely comes from "b4", and people decided
that "hey, I can use the -l parameter to add that Link: field", and it
looks better that way.

And then they add it all the time, whether it makes any sense or not.

I've mainly noticed it with the -tip tree, but maybe that's just
because I've happened to look at it.

I really hate those worthless links that basically add zero actual
information to the commit.

The "Link" field is for _useful_ links. Not "let's add a link just
because we can".

Linus