Re: RFC: Memory Tiering Kernel Interfaces (v2)

From: Wei Xu
Date: Fri May 13 2022 - 03:21:40 EST

On Fri, May 13, 2022 at 12:04 AM ying.huang@xxxxxxxxx
<ying.huang@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
> > > demote some pages from tier 1 to tier 2
> > > - If there's still no enough free pages in tier 1, allocate pages from
> > > tier 2.
> > >
> > > In this way, tier 0 will have the hottest pages, while tier 1 will have
> > > the coldest pages.
> >
> > When we are already in the allocation path for the demotion of a page
> > from tier 0, I think we'd better not block this allocation to wait for
> > kswapd to demote pages from tier 1 to tier 2. Instead, we should
> > directly allocate from tier 2. Meanwhile, this demotion can wakeup
> > kswapd to demote from tier 1 to tier 2 in the background.
>
> Yes. That's what I want too. My original words may be misleading.
>
> > > With your proposed method, the demoting from tier 0 behavior is,
> > >
> > > - Allocate pages from tier 1
> > > - If there's no enough free pages in tier 1, allocate pages in tier 2
> > >
> > > The kswapd of tier 1 will not be waken up until there's no enough free
> > > pages in tier 2. In quite long time, there's no much hot/cold
> > > differentiation between tier 1 and tier 2.
> >
> > This is true with the current allocation code. But I think we can make
> > some changes for demotion allocations. For example, we can add a
> > GFP_DEMOTE flag and update the allocation function to wake up kswapd
> > when this flag is set and we need to fall back to another node.
> >
> > > This isn't hard to be fixed, just call __alloc_pages_nodemask() for each
> > > tier one by one considering page allocation fallback order.
> >
> > That would have worked, except that there is an example earlier, in
> > which it is actually preferred for some nodes to demote to their tier
> > + 2, not tier +1.
> >
> > More specifically, the example is:
> >
> > 20
> > Node 0 (DRAM) -- Node 1 (DRAM)
> > | | | |
> > | | 30 120 | |
> > | v v | 100
> > 100 | Node 2 (PMEM) |
> > | | |
> > | | 100 |
> > \ v v
> > -> Node 3 (Large Mem)
> >
> > Node distances:
> > node 0 1 2 3
> > 0 10 20 30 100
> > 1 20 10 120 100
> > 2 30 120 10 100
> > 3 100 100 100 10
> >
> > 3 memory tiers are defined:
> > tier 0: 0-1
> > tier 1: 2
> > tier 2: 3
> >
> > The demotion fallback order is:
> > node 0: 2, 3
> > node 1: 3, 2
> > node 2: 3
> > node 3: empty
> >
> > Note that even though node 3 is in tier 2 and node 2 is in tier 1,
> > node 1 (tier 0) still prefers node 3 as its first demotion target, not
> > node 2.
>
> Yes. I understand that we need to support this use case. We can use
> the tier order in allocation fallback list instead of from small to
> large. That is, for node 1, the tier order for demotion is tier 2, tier

That could work, too, though I feel it might be simpler and more
efficient (no repeated calls to __alloc_pages for the same allocation)
to modify __alloc_pages() itself.

Anyway, we can discuss more on this when it comes to the
implementation of this demotion allocation function. I believe this
should not affect the general memory tiering interfaces proposed here.