Re: [GIT PULL] More Kbuild updates for v5.19-rc1

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sat Jun 04 2022 - 16:30:38 EST

On Fri, Jun 3, 2022 at 9:42 AM Masahiro Yamada <masahiroy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> - Fix modpost to detect EXPORT_SYMBOL marked as __init or__exit
> (This uncovered a couple of potential issues of exported symbols)

I pulled, and then unpulled again, since this introduces new warnings.

If you introduce new checks, you fix what it checks.

And if the warnings didn't get sorted out, then it wasn't ready to be merged.

There's a good *reason* I require a clean build: non-clean builds
just mean that people will ignore new warnings because they think they
are the old ones that they have already seen.

So no, it is *NOT* ok to introduce new warnings and think "people will
fix these up because now there are warnings about it".

Quite the reverse. People not only *won't* fix things up, and it will
just hide new warnings from *other* things instead.

Linus