Re: [Linux v5.17.9] -Wdeprecated-declarations warnings with LLVM-14 and OpenSSL v3.0.x

From: Sedat Dilek
Date: Thu Jun 09 2022 - 15:20:00 EST

On Thu, Jun 9, 2022 at 9:05 PM Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 9, 2022 at 11:41 AM Sedat Dilek <sedat.dilek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Why go back and forth... do it like Alexander the Great and the Gordian knot.
> >
> > Sword - Swash - Done.
> >
> > commit 6bfb56e93bcef41859c2d5ab234ffd80b691be35
> > "cert host tools: Stop complaining about deprecated OpenSSL functions"
>
> Well, it's not like that is the *right* fix.
>
> But I think for now, the answer is "leave it like that until we can
> just get rid of the ENGINE API entirely".
>
> I absolutely detest the "deprecation" warnings. We used to do that in
> the kernel too, and it was a complete disaster. The warnings are very
> noisy, and nobody ever cares about them, so it's simply not worth it.
>
> So we deprecated "__deprecated" in the kernel itself:
>
> 771c035372a0 deprecate the '__deprecated' attribute warnings
> entirely and for good
>
> and I don't think we should care about it when it comes to OpenSSL either.
>
> Eventually, that deprecated interface will go away entirely, and by
> then we hopefully don't care about really old openssl implementations
> and will have gotten rid of the uses.
>
> But for now, I think putting our head in the sand is actually the
> _better_ model rather than fighting some battle over old vs new
> libraries.
>
> Because sometimes, if you ignore a problem, it really does just go away.

To be honest: I like your approach, Linus.
Very pragma-tic.
That's why you use pragma's in your patch :-).

I invested too much of my lifetime in making things work "correctly".
And yes, it's post-rc1...

Most of the apps in the Debian world passed the OpenSSL-v3 transition.

-Sedat-

[0] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVvr6PKUoEs
[1] https://release.debian.org/transitions/html/auto-openssl.html