Re: [Linux v5.17.9] -Wdeprecated-declarations warnings with LLVM-14 and OpenSSL v3.0.x

From: Willy Tarreau
Date: Thu Jun 09 2022 - 15:32:54 EST

On Thu, Jun 09, 2022 at 12:25:31PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 9, 2022 at 12:23 PM Willy Tarreau <w@xxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > IIRC you can also disable the deprecation warnings by defining the
> > OPENSSL_SUPPRESS_DEPRECATED macro. It doesn't require to change the
> > compiler's options and allows us to put our head in the sand.
>
> That one had the downside that you have to know what you're doing to
> make such a change ;)

Sure, but when I had to go through it, I found that it was the one
that's used to decide whether another macro would point to either
__attribute__((deprecated)) or to an empty string. It was doing
exactly the required job for that. My plan was to use it only for
default builds but let developers remove it to see new warnings.
Finally we did better and disabled engines completely!

> I just wanted to be able to start doing pulls again after mistakenly
> thinking that an upgrade would be pain-free.

:-)

Willy