Re: 2 second nvme initialization delay regression in 5.18 [Was: Re: [bug report]nvme0: Admin Cmd(0x6), I/O Error (sct 0x0 / sc 0x2) MORE DNR observed during blktests]

From: Christoph Hellwig
Date: Mon Jun 13 2022 - 14:09:03 EST

On Fri, Jun 10, 2022 at 11:19:31AM +0200, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
> Right, that seems like the set of variance we're dealing with. If it's a
> firmware version issue, then we revert because people can update? Or can
> we quirk firmware version numbers too?

We can quirk on firmware version and model number as well. Those quirks
need to go into the core nvme module and not just the PCI driver, though.

> If it's ASIC stepping, I guess we
> need to quirk that. And likewise thunderbolt, but that seems more
> awkward to quirk around, because afaik, it all just appears as PCIe?

It all appears as PCIe, but the pci_dev has an is_thunderbolt flag.

Thanks to both of you for the information. I'd like to wait until the
end of the week or so if we can hear something from Samsung, and if we
don't we'll have to quirk based on the model number.