Re: [v6 08/14] iio: imu: add Bosch Sensortec BNO055 core driver

From: Andrea Merello
Date: Tue Jun 14 2022 - 08:36:03 EST

>> >Shouldn't we report the potential error here? It's not directly
>> >related to debugfs, but something which is not directly related.
>>
>> The error eventually comes out from something that has nothing to do with debugs per se (i.e. the devm stuff), but it will only affect debugfs indeed.
>>
>> Assuming that we don't want to make the whole driver fail in case debugfs stuff fails (see last part of the comment above debugfs_create_file() implementation), and given that the devm_add_action_or_reset(), should indeed "reset" in case of failure (i.e. we should be in a clean situation anyway), I would say it should be OK not to propagate the error and let things go on.
>
>As I said, it's not directly related to debugfs. Here is the resource
>leak possible or bad things happen if you probe the driver, that fails
>to add this call for removal, remove it, and try to insert again, in
>such case the debugfs will be stale.

Hum, I would say this shouldn't ever happen: AFAICS devm_add_action_or_reset() is a wrapper around devm_add_action() and it's purpose is exactly to add a check for failure; devm_add_action_or_reset() immediately invokes the action handler in case devm_add_action() fails. IOW in case of failure to add the devm stuff, the debugfs file is removed immediately and it shouldn't cause any mess with next times probe()s; just the driver will go on without the debugfs file being here.

I think this is the point of using devm_add_action_or_reset() instead of dev_add_action() indeed, or am I missing something?